Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Some times you gotta do what you gotta do

Is it men being boys or boys being men? That would have been the question last Saturday. I've had these palm trees scattered in my yard and it's bothered me for years. They are always in the way. If we want to play ball or run we always have to be careful not to run into them. My five year old boy was recently flying a kite and yep you guessed it, he was running and watching the kite and wham! Down he went with a scratch across his face just under his eye.

So I had the opportunity to borrow a track hoe from a buddy of mine. I was recovering from a severely pulled back and should have been taking it easy but I thought "wow would my boys love to ride on a backhoe." So I pulled up in the yard Saturday morning and out they came. They rode on that hoe with me for hours only to take breaks for lunch and water. We dug the trees up and knocked them over and drug them to their new location on the side of the yard. Then we went over to the driveway and scraped it smooth. Then we scraped up some old concrete and knocked over a big stump. We were just looking for things to conquer. They had a blast and so did Dad. (Thanks Rich)

There is something about tools and machinery with boys and men. A fascination or maybe the sense of all that power in your hands. You gotta admit being able to move a big tree is pretty cool especially if you're 5 and 2 years old. Yes, the more I think of it I'd say 50% of the reason I did it was to give my boys the thrill.

One thing I've learned as a father, "Make as many great memories with your children as you can." As the late Larry Burket said, "You have your entire life to make money but only once to raise your kids."

Make the most of it and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do even if you get lots of strange looks and questions from your neighbors.

Life is good, so is our God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!!!

Pray for our Troops

Life House